WELCOME
Content Buttons Welcome

Two Religious houses
Their Location
Their dates


First, the 7th century Northumbrian monastery of St Ebba.

The site now forms part of the national nature reserve - St Abbs Head - which is owned on behalf of the nation by the National Trust for Scotland.

Second the Church at Coldingham most likely founded in 1098 by Edgar, King of Scots.

This church soon developed into a Priory, and for more than 300 years it was the northern-most house of the monks of St Cuthbert from Durham. In its declining years it became a purely Scottish monastic house surviving up to the Scottish Reformation in 1560.

more

© All text, photos and drawings are copyrighted. Stained glass from a window by J.E. Nutgens within the Church of St Ebba at Beadnell. Photograph by J. Walker.